Historical Perspective of Horticulture at Texas A&M University
1876: Dr. C. P. B. Martin, Professor of Practical Agriculture, taught horticulture as a member of the first faculty at The A&M College of Texas.
1879: Department of Agriculture and Horticulture one of the original departments at The A&M College of Texas.
1887: Department of Horticulture and Botany established.
1906: Departments of Horticulture and Botany were separated. E. J. Kyle was appointed head of the newly established Department of Horticulture.
c.1920: G. W. Adriance was appointed head of the Department of Horticulture, and he served in that capacity until 1961.
1925: Department of Landscape Art was organized under F. W. Hensel.
1950: The Department of Landscape Art was reorganized with a broader mission, and it became the Department of Floriculture and Landscape Art in 1950 under the leadership of A. F. DeWerth.
1961: Floriculture and Landscape Art was renamed the Department of Floriculture.
1962: The Departments of Horticulture, Floriculture, and Agronomy were combined and the resulting department was named Soil and Crop Sciences. Programmatically the horticulture group remained separate, but they were administered as part of larger Soil and Crop Sciences Department.
1976: The horticulture group separated from Soil and Crop Sciences and became the Department of Horticultural Sciences.
Visit Texas Horticulture Milestones for more history.